Monday, November 9, 2015

What Would You Ask God?

Last week, Fr. David Scheidler, C.S.C. told me that to him, God’s voice sounds much less like Morgan Freeman and feels much more like a warm blanket being wrapped around his shoulders. Have you ever wondered what God’s voice sounds like? Do you wish you could ask God a question and hear His voice answering you? This week, my friend and fellow Campus Ministry blogger Megan and I hit campus with a notepad and camera to find out what our fellow students would ask God if they had the opportunity to ask Him one question.

Below, you'll find half of the answers we collected. See Megan's blog, Come! Live in the Light!, for the other half. I hope you enjoy reading these as much as we have enjoyed collecting them!


"How many hairs are actually on my head?"
Dani, '18

"Why am I so afraid of you right now?"
Cesar, '17


"Why does snow exist?" "Why are there camel crickets in my basement?" 
Mitch, '16 and Katie, '16

"How am I doing?" 
Marissa, '19


"How is everything so beautifully complex, but somehow goes together?" 
Dale, '16

"Can people surprise you?" 
Izzy, '17

"What's up with the octopus? Or the armadillo? Or the giraffe?"
Katie, '17


"Why do people grow up?" 
Elizabeth, '16

"What will music be like in 3015?" 
Ryan, '17


"How can I love you more fully?" 
Joe, '18

"What is the most beautiful thing humans have accomplished? And further, what is the most beautiful thing we can currently accomplish?" 
Nick, '17

"What happens to animals?" 
Jessica, '19


"What is God's favorite dance move?" 
Katie, '18

"Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" 
Brian, '16

"What do you want me to do?" 
Belin, '19


"Do we get to be friends forever?" 
Brittany, '18 and Sophia, '19

"What should I tell my Sunday School students about you?" 
Maria, '16

"Why do you love me?"
Bobby, '18


"When should we expect the end of the world? Which signs should we look for?" 
Cherisse, '17

"What does heaven look like?" 
Anna, '17

"What were you thinking when you made the platypus?"
Kevin, '17


"Why isn't chocolate a vegetable?" 
Emma, '16

"Why are you so confusing? How am I supposed to know what God wants when people mess up?" 
Megan, '17

"God, do people have soul mates, and if so, who is mine?" 
Michael, '17


"Why did you create humanity?"
Alex, '16

The answers Megan and I received through this project ranged from silly to serious. They left us with questions of our own, including, “What are camel crickets?” “How have I never questioned whether God made abstract things?” and “What is God calling me to?” The responses we gathered speak to something deeper as well: we always thirst to know and understand God better. Whether it is knowing God’s plan for us or understanding God’s role in the world around us, we are drawn to a particular curiosity we can only have about God. We desire to know our Creator, who is so personal and precious to us, yet vast, powerful, and beyond anything we can understand. God is utterly present to us, and also in many ways is a complete mystery.

One of our favorite more “serious” replies to our question this week (if we are allowed to choose a favorite) was, ‘“How can I bring greater glory to Your name?’ Luckily, I get the opportunity to ask this every day.” Perhaps some questions are better left unanswered directly, and rather sought through the way we live our lives. 

If you could ask God one question, what would it be? Which questions do you ask God? In which ways does He answer, and which answers remain mysteries?



Thank you to everyone who contributed to this post. We are most grateful.
If you have any questions of your own you would like to add, please comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment